Saturday, December 1, 2007

Evel Knievel

Well it's been a long time since I've made a post here at the hive. About 2 months by my reckoning. So I don't know how many hard-core fans are still hanging on. But this is one of those nights where I can't sleep, so I thought I would make a post for all of you who still bother to check in.

In case you haven't heard, Evel Knievel passed away yesterday. The young folks probably are saying "big deal", while the older folks, for the most part, are probably saying "big deal". But my perspective is a bit different.

You see, as you have probably figured out from previous posts here at the hive, I'm pretty much a kid at heart. Always have been. And I remember, as a kid, seeing footgage of Evel jumping his motorcycle over busses, cars, canyons, pretty much anything that needed to be jumped. I just thought that was the coolest thing.



I even had all of the Evel Knievel toys when I was a kid, and as I recounted to Janie, I actually wore my Evel Knievel toy motorcycle out jumping it over anything I could find. Later in life, I got really interested in riding dirt bikes and for meny years enjoyed jumping myself (although I neverd measured up to Evel's standards) so the daredevil spirit lived on. I also thought it was cool that Evel rode a Harley Davidson (American made) and wore a red, white, and blue suit.

Now there is no argument that Evel led a checkered life, and had a few brushes with The Law, along with some less-than-savory choices of action. But he did embody a few ideals that we hold sacred here at the hive:

-Work hard,
-Be good at what you do,
-If you fall down, get back up,
-Communicate effectively,
-Love your Country,
-Ride your motorcycle :-)

Rest in Peace, Evel, we here at the Hive classify you as a true American, and you have added a good slab of fun to our lives.

1 comment:

Janie said...

Here I am, tearing up over Evel... actually, I remember past conversations about those toys - I'll bet if I got you one today you'd play with it!