Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Daytona 500!

I've said here before that there's an old saying something to the effect that "you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy" Today was another example of this. Today marked the 2008 running of the Daytona 500. Yeh, it's stock car racing at its finest. The superbowl of motorsports. This year, a kindred spirit won the event. Ryan Newman, driver of the #12 Dodge, won the race in a nail-biter exciting finish. Ryan Newman is an engineer and a Purdue alum, and I am an engineer and a former Purdue student, so we are sympatico! Ryan celebrated with a cool smoky burnout after his victory . . .



You may be thinking that NASCAR is not sophisticated or redneck, but in my mind, that is just fine. We had a great time with our friends at my brother's during his annual Daytona 500 party, and we are looking forward to another fun year of auto racing. So while we are having fun with everything else (playing Emma, listening to music, building models, reading, etc.) you can bet that there will be a NASCAR race on the TV in the background.

While we're on the subject, I've been trying to decide who I should pull for in the Sprint Cup series this year. You see, I have a reputation of pulling for the underdog, and each year the guy I've pulled for has always lost his ride. Well, this year, I've decided to pitch my spirit behind a new driver, and there's always hope that I'll change my record. So Clint Bowyer, in the No. 07 Jack Daniels Chevrolet, get that championship in '08.




Peace from the Hive

4 comments:

Janie said...

Poor Clint, if only he knew the history of Steven's faves - let's see - Dick Trickle - I think he retired the year Steven decided he liked him because he used to drive in wing tip shoes, Chad Little, Promising Driver of the John Deere car as I recall - he had a law degree, so he may be back to practicing law now; then there was Jeremy Mayfield - his tire flew off almost 5 seconds after Steven declared his fanhood, in possibly the funniest Nascar moment ever in the Hite household. Yes, we love Nascar, and we're proud of it! I enjoy it as much as he does, and as I picked a Cup Winner as my favorite guy, I have a bit of a better track record. My new Junior guy (Junior) is sure to get a championship :-) May we all take a moment to say a prayer for Steven's new guy :-)

Windsor House said...

I have to admit that I was only an open-wheel (Indy Car) fan and still am to some extent but I have gotten bit also with the NASCAR bug. I like Jr. but pull for the ex open wheel drivers such as Dario Franchitti (Ashely's hubby) and Sam Hornish.

Steven said...

Did my wife put you up to that comment??

Steven.

Janie said...

Steven, the answer to your question would be no :-) Dad doesn't know that you do not love Ashley Judd, as he, quite to the contrary, does!