Sunday, February 10, 2008

Some Clarification at the Hive

Greetings to all the faithful visitors to the Hive during our long dormant period. Contrary to theory, we HAVE NOT suffered Colony Collapse Disorder, rather just a little break from posting. So I hope all visitors hereto have been well since my last post.

Which brings me to the topic at hand. My last post referenced the book of Parilipomenon from the Old Testament. Several visitors were inquisitive of this reference, so I thought a bit of explanation was in order.

My Bible (Given to me by my wife-to-be for my birthday in 1997) is the Douay-Rheims Version of the Catholic Bible. The significance of this designation is that this version of the Bible was translated into English from the Latin Vulgate Bible, translated by St. Jerome in the 1st century A.D. from the original languages (Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). As such, in my mind (and that of many scholars), it represents the most faithful English translation of the Bible. This translation is considered a faithful word-for-word translation of the original manuscripts, many of which have been lost to history. By Approbation of His Eminence James Cardinal Gibbons this book is an approved version of the Catholic Bible.

As such, there are some differences between this version and modern versions of the Bible. The books of Paralipomenon are an example. In the modern Catholic Bible, these books are more recognizably referred (I think) to as the books of Kings (1 and 2) I have not done a cross-reference to verify this. Many of the names of the books in the Douay-Rhiems version are different from more modern translations, and I won't bore you with all of those now, but rather I'll save that for future posts.

Until then, thanks for keeping faith in the Hive. We're still here, we just get a little lazy about posting every once in a while.

Until next time, Cheerio!!

Steven's Neatest Hive

2 comments:

Janie said...

It really is interesting to read this version of the Bible, then compare it to modern versions. The translations are sometimes completely different!

I remember giving that to you, it meant a lot to me :-)

Windsor House said...

This was very interesting. I would be intestested in hearing more.
God Bless
Dave